With Getty Images’ mission to move the world, we are partnering with Dove to promote diversity within creative commercial photography and videography, elevating the work and the voices of women, femmes and non‑binary artists. The #ShowUs Grant provides financial support and mentorship to artists who are committed to authentically representing women, femmes and non‑binary individuals in commercial photography and videography.
The #ShowUs Grant is dedicated to promoting the work of emerging women, femmes and non‑binary commercial photographers and videographers. Judges will be looking for submissions which shatter stereotypes and conventions celebrating women and aging. We wish to honour the full spectrum of diverse experiences – showing that beauty has no age limit – all experiences are valid, welcome, and appreciated. Judges will give particular consideration to photographers and videographers who are depicting authentic stories of women, femmes and non‑binary individuals in their local communities.
Project #ShowUs is a global library of images created by women, femmes and non‑binary photographers devoted to shattering beauty stereotypes around the world. Created in partnership with Dove this global collection is 100% created by and representing women, femmes and non‑binary individuals as they are, not as others believe they should be.
Applicants must apply using our online application found here. Grants will be awarded by an industry‑leading panel of creative leaders selected for their expertise and experience. Selection will be based on the judges’ determination of the applicant’s ability to execute the submitted project with a compelling commercial visual narrative based on either still images or video. The jury will consider the caliber of the portfolio, the project's merit and the artist’s professional ability. The judges will also be assessing how the submitted projects authentically represent women and non‑binary individuals from across the globe and how the project will help to change the way media and advertising represent women and non‑binary people.
Virginia Kluiters is a fashion, beauty and fine art photographer in the greater NYC area, working with brands and publications to produce dynamic commercial and editorial work. As a former copywriter, Virginia appreciates the art of storytelling and shoots her subjects with a narrative focus, using creative lighting and color combinations to create ethereal scenes. She is particularly passionate about women’s stories and strives to celebrate a diverse range of femininity in her body of work. Her photographs can be found in publications including Paper Magazine, Cosmopolitan Slovenia, Grazia USA, Elle Bulgaria, Glamour Bulgaria, L’Officiel Brasil, and others.
Irene Baque is a bilingual (English & Spanish) film director and photographer that tells human stories, real and emotional, about underrepresented communities. Her work explores issues around identity, gender, and youth culture, getting inspiration from the women around her. Her visuals are authentic, intimate, and feminine, playing with colour and composition. Irene is currently based between London and Madrid.
Prizes and Benefits
- Two $5,000 prizes awarded
- The successful recipients will be invited to license their award‑winning content through GettyImages.com and iStock.com at a 100% royalty rate for imagery created within their proposed project (please see T&Cs for details). This is subject to you entering into a separate agreement with Getty Images allowing for the distribution of your content.
- Guidance and mentorship from one of Getty Images’ award‑winning Art Directors, as well as a feature on the Getty Images Creative Insights website, in addition to promotion on relevant Getty Images and iStock social channels. Please note, this additional support is not a requirement of the #ShowUs Grant and choosing to take advantage of this opportunity is at your discretion.
Rules and Requirements
- Links to existing portfolio of work online
- Applicants must apply using our online application found here.
- The submission must include: a 200‑500 word summary of the project proposal and an explanation as to how the project will move the #ShowUs movement forward through commercial photography and videography
- A short biography detailing who you are and what you’ve done
- All the required fields indicated on the application found on the Submittable website
- The applications must be in English
- All submissions must be digital. Prints, books, slides or transparencies or other such materials will not be reviewed by judges nor returned to applicant.
Senior Vice President Brand Integration, AARP
Global Vice President,
Educator and Influencer